*buy – please and thank you!Ok so this is a bit of a long one but please try and read the WHOLE post for the FULL experience!
For those of you who don’t know (all 1.5 of you because I am not sure there is anyone left whom I have not bored to death with this story) I spent a large portion of 2012 – 2015 finishing a novel that I started when I was 19; naturally the plot has changed significantly since I first began writing it but for all intents and purposes that is when I got the idea.
On a whim, I decided to live publish each chapter -as I finished writing it- on my blog and lo and behold the story I wrote from the comfort of my bed began to resonate with
hundreds dozens of people on blogsphere. It was a different level of high and inflated my ego quite a bit.
I tried to publish traditionally but that idea deflated soon due to the realisation that the publishing industry in England is a) overcrowded and b) white.
Then I had to deal with publishing houses only really wanting to rep. YouTubers because let’s face it, selling is a number’s game and the bigger your social media following the more sales you make.
Anyway, I decided to self publish in 2016, then I promptly took the book down because I couldn’t market it to save my life. And I was living in constant fear that someone I know would read it; coz it’s a love story written by the most cynical human on the planet.
Here we are in 2020 where I haze zero f**cks left to give and I am therefore taking another shot at self publishing. I’m planting the seed and walking away. If it grows it grows, Alhamdulilah, but if it doesn’t, hey-ho, it’s out of my system.
Sinan and Leyla is a contemporary love story of a Muslim couple who are being set up by their families for the purposes of matrimony. What ensues is a series of unfortuate events that will hopefully make you laugh, cry and root for Sinan and Leyla as they try and make sense of this wonderful phenomenon also known as; arranged marriage.
I strongly urge you to get the ebook instead of the paperback because the paperback is a) more expensive (amazon sets the price not me) and b) LARGE.
I don’t know what wally on fiverr convinced me to do a 6×9 cover but I am living to regret that choice and amazon won’t let me alter the dimensions post publication. Oh the bleeding joy of self-publishing. Fiverr is otherwise a wonderful platform for all your self-publishing needs.
Finally, the joy of the ebook is that I am still -to this day- updating it as and when necessary. I.e. if someone clocks some errors (despite me hiring TWO professional editors!) in the book, I can quickly edit the changes, update the manuscript and reupload it again. This is ultimately a much more difficult / time consuming task with a paperback.
I would hate for people to buy an expensive paperback that has errors in it which we don’t currently think it does; thank God! Will take it down if any crop up though.All you need to access the book on kindle is an amazon account and the kindle app; no actual kindle required.
Now depending on your location; you might not be able to get the book anyway either due to amazon or ebooks not being a thing where you are? I know readers from Pakistan are currently struggling to access it. I think someone informed me Saudi was struggling. But then someone in Egypt managed? Qatar is okay I think? Obviously Canada, USA, UK and Belgium etc are jammin’ so that’s something.
Anyway. If you manage to access it, then happy reading!If you like it, PLEASE drop me a review on amazon.
This is boring and mundane to you but it makes all the difference to me. And tell people because frankly I am shit at marketing and need ya’ll to do it for me. Please and thank you!!!
If you hate the book please feel free to stop reading; I want it to be a fun not painful experience for you!
Here are some disclaimers though, that I feel are in order in light of a recent feedback DM I received. This person was kind enough not to post their (kinda harsh) review publicly but their words made me want to clarify some things so here goes;
- The book (both ebook and print version) is not devoid of fault due to being SELF-published. I did most of the work on the book on my own and PAID people out of my own pocket to do the rest i.e. layout, covers, editing etc. I tell you this to reassure you that I tried my level best to make it an aesthetically pleasing / easy layout to follow.
- That being said, it will never look nor be of the same standard as a traditionally published book that is being backed by an entire powerhouse of professionals. So please be mindful of this when you clock a minor spelling error; I promise it won’t hinder your reading experience. I have combed through the book many times and my eyes genuinely don’t see the errors anymore t
hey just see perfection, jooooke. So please point out errors to me nicelyand I will fix them pronto! Your feedback means THE WORLD.
- This book was written with the intention of being a LIGHT-hearted read. Please read it in the spirit in which it was written. I did not write it to change anyone’s life so please know it is a relaxed rom-com meant for enjoyment. It is not and will never be an exclusive manual of how ALL the South Asians / Arabs in the world conduct themselves and go about marriage.
- YOUR current climate and MY current climate are two completely different worlds. I can’t help it if you think the book doesn’t represent your climate… I don’t know what arranged marriage in your neck of the woods is saying. I simply wrote about what I knew.
- I wanted to write about flawed characters to inject an element of relatability into my story. I wanted people to root for the underdogs and celebrate the unsung heroes. Hence why many of my characters worked in the creative industries. But, I also wanted to be frank and real about how shady and corrupt the institution of arranged marriage can be in some cultures.
- I definitely did not want to write a book about a perfect hero. Sinan is like marmite guys, you will either love him or hate him, but no one can tell me that they have never met a Sinan in the South Asian / Arab community…
- Finally, if the dialogue is “cringe” then it’s because I do love a bit of cheese innit. That one I will take on board and hold my hands up to lol. However, I invite people to think of the first time they fell in love. Nothing is dignified in dialogue after that, we do nicknames, terms of endearment we flirt, we go to town on the sweet talk… cut me some slack.
That will be all. Thank you if you made it thus far. Thank you for the support. You the real OGs.Peace x